For months, we’ve heard the rumors. “2 phones?” “World phone?” “Upgrades?” In about 4+ hours, we’ll have answers. At 10 am Pacific time, Apple is holding a media event to discuss their future products. Supposedly up on the docket:
- Announcement of at least 1 new phone, or as many as 3: 4S, 5, and possible low-cost iPhone.
- Demonstration of iOS 5
- The way ahead for ipods and other hardware
- Possibly more iCloud discussion
That is in no particular order, but those are the major discussion points for today, unless I’m mis-reading about 5 different sites.
I’ve already made up my mind that I will not buy the iPhone 4S. I’m waiting for the 5. If they announce that today, fantastic. I’ll be excited to get my hands all over it. If they only announce the 4S, I will happily bide my time with my 4 until such time that the 5 is released.
Problem: One of the latest rumors I’ve seen circulating is that the 5 is going to be exclusive to Sprint. Currently, I’m with AT&T. This is not an issue because, quite frankly, I’m not at all an AT&T fan and will gladly jump ship when the 5 sets sail.
If you’ve been living under a rock and are not familiar with the reasons to upgrade to even the 4S, allow me to list them here for you. These are culled from sites like tuaw.com, cultofmac.com, and 9to5mac.com.
- A5 dual processor (by comparison, the 4 uses the A4 processor, and the 3GS uses a 600 MHZ processor).
- 8 MP camera with larger lens and sensor (should greatly improve low-light images so they don’t look so grainy and crappy)
- POSSIBLE larger screen. Could be as large as 4.44″. Considering the 4 sports a 3.5″ screen, that is a HUGE upgrade!
- iOS 5. The list for the upgrades on this is long and ridiculous, but they are AWESOME. My favorite is the iOS wireless updating. No longer do I have to
tether my device to my desktop take my device to an Apple or AT&T store to be upgraded! It will all be done over the air. THAT is fantastic news.
- 16GB, 32GB AND *dum da da DUUUUM!* 64GB models!!
That’s the short of it. I can’t wait to see what Apple has up their sleeve today. I couldn’t sleep from anticipation.
Happy Apple Day everyone.