I was really just looking for music coming out this week. Instead, I got a pretty large list of things coming out for this year. Check out this link. Isn’t that sweet?! It may or may not be comprehensive. I’m betting it’s not, but it’s a healthy-sized list regardless.
Of interest to me are:
- Motorhead (actually came out yesterday)
- Bright Eyes
- The Dears
- Sonic Youth
- Dropkick Murphys
- Green day
- Soundgarden (*really* stoked for this one!)
- Mountain Goats
- The Kills
- Vivian Girls
- Lady Gaga*
I’m sure I’ll become excited for more of those bands as I start researching them and seeing what they have to offer, but for now, my list from now until the end of April is looking pretty healthy. Not to mention the unscheduled-yet-semi-confirmed list!
Two interesting CDs from the no-date-confirmed list are from The Cars and Human Leauge. I thought that Human League had all but fallen off the face of the earth. Not too far from it … they’ve only released 3 CDs since 1986′s Crash gave us the hit “Human.” The Cars, on the other hand … they haven’t released a studio CD since 1987, if I remember right. The notable absence on this new release will be Benjamin Orr, who passed away in 2000 from cancer. I’m curious to hear how this new CD sounds without him.
Anyway, happy perusing. I hope your favorite band is on the list!
*yes, crystal … that was my little joke to you.
This morning, as I was heading in to work, Alela Diane’s “White as Diamonds” shuffled through my phone. Having not listened to To Be Still in a while, I “unshuffled” my playlist and started from “Dry Grass and Shadows.”
There are few voices as distinct as hers. There are also few voices that can evoke such emotion–such raw, visceral feeling. She pours her soul into her music. Not that most artists don’t, but hers … sweet cabbage and mutton, how does she do it?
I started wondering if she has anything coming down the pike. In the “HUZZAH!!” category, we have this bit of news straight off her website: new CD coming out in the spring. No specific date, but her site is in a state of overhaul, I guess … at least that’s the illusion on the front page, so maybe more news will be forthcoming with the new site.
So THAT got me wondering who else has new stuff coming in the near future. Here’s a list I’ve compiled of potential releases in the next few months.
- Alela Diane - Spring release.
- Sarah Fimm - A new release is immenently close at hand. She’s taunting us with talk of a new song on her Facebook page.
- Azam Ali - From Night to the Edge of Day, March or April.
- The Dears - Degeneration Street, Februray 15 (though this might just be a Canadian-only release date … not sure)
- Dredg - early 2011 (nothing on their site other than a post from August targeting an “early 2011″ release)
- Eisley - The Valley, March 1
Brief interruption … looks like the good folks from Gypsy Death and You are hooking me up with some tune-age. Again, I refer you to NewBandDay‘s post about them for “Crocus” and “Something I Can’t Have.”
And now, back to the list. On with the show, as they say, blah blah blah.
- Samantha Crain - coming at some point hopefully in 2011, but it looks like she has a lot of projects that are keeping her well booked, so we’ll hope. She’s writing new stuff, so that’s good!
- Well, crap. I wanted to post that Rush will be releasing their new CD this year, but it looks like they’ll resume recording in the late summer or early fall for Clockwork Angels, which will probably be released in early 2012. Well *that* sucks.
- Howling Bells - early to mid year (?). Looks like they’re done with the recording and they’re well into the mixing stage, if not past it. Of interesting note is the fact that Mark Stroemer, of The Killers fame, is producing the CD. Hmm.
- Marissa Nadler – Her site has a donation page set up, and the funding has been met as of December 9th. Not sure if she’s in the studio or not, but you can follow her blog here.
Honestly, I’m sure there are a ton more, and I’ll do some more research later, but for now, that’s enough to whet just about any musical appetite. Stay tuned …
Yes, I know … incredibly egotistical. Screw you. I’m back.
And hey … ya never know. Maybe “New Music Friday” is the king. Certainly could be, right? In fact, let’s go with that.
Now that I’m back amongst the employed (read: making money), of course I had to go to Graywhale. Lookie what I found, folks. Good stuff!
- The Dears – Gang of Losers
- The Child Who Was a Keyhole – In the Faxed Atmosphere
- Tiffany Anders – Funny Cry Happy Gift\
- Annuals – Be He Me
- Arab Strap – Monday at the Hug and Pint
- The Early November – The Mother, the Mechanic, and the Path
Good haul! ALL of these were between $2-3 with my KW card discount. Yah, you read that right. $2 to $3 per CD. Amazon isn’t even that good, even if you can find the same CDs for one cent. The most promising look to be The Early November and The Dears, but I’m betting they’re all awesome. Guess we’ll see.
“So, where’ve you been? You haven’t written anything in, you know … forever.”
You are correct. I went off the radar for a bit. Things came up. Sorry! I still have to live life, ya know?
Anyway, listening to The Dears. I’ll write a review later.